Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Assignment # 6

The Network Student
The Network Student by Wendy Drexler
In the start of the video I was introduced to a word that I was unfamiliar with, connectivism. Connectivism is the tools themselves are not as important as the connections made possible by them. The video also showed examples of how effective and useful iTunes can be for students. Through iTunes students could access lectures from anywhere. Even lectures from Ivy League colleges! I found it interesting how they described what a teacher is there for. A teacher to his or her students is there for; guidence, information, the teacher is a modeler, helps her students stay organized and feeds them information. Education is rapidly changing and future teachers need to be prepared to teach in ways different than they were once taught to.

PLE
A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environmental Plan
I was highly imnpressed with this video, the seventh grader who put this together was not only a well educated student but she enjoyed how she was being educated. She was very creative and eager to learn through these different types of technology available on the internet. She created bookmarks, blogs and presentations to name a few things. She could skpy with teachers and email scientists for example to ask questions. I think this style of learning is great and would keep students engaged and wanting more out of their education versus sitting in a classroom and staring at a white board.

Machine is Changing Us
The Machine is Changing Us
This video also made some very valid points that I agreed with. I enjoyed Dr. Wesch's delivery of the video and the way he inserted clips from TV shows and other sites. Our culture changes along with technology advancing more and more each day, week, month and year. I think he also took on a creative approach when he used the word whatever throughout the video. His final message was powerful as well when he stated, "Let's do whatever it takes by whatever means necessary." As a future educator this quote needs to be in my mind at all times and applied to my students.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the 7th grader. She did seem very eager and ready to learn. I also really liked how Dr. Wesch presented us with the evolution of whatever. I loved his final statements about the word. I also agree with you about how technology it is changing constantly, and we need to be able to keep up with it. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great summary of the Network Students! Connectivism is a powerful tool and I think you explained it well. I think we can really learn for the seventh grader's PLE. What are you using for you PLN?

    Good post!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete