Thursday, October 14, 2010

Additional Assignment # 2

Sugata Mitra
1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?
-I think being a motivated learner puts you one step ahead in the sense that you are eager and willing to learn. However I do feel that even a highly motivated learner still needs a teacher at times.

2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?
-I don't think a motivated young student could teach themselves everything they need to know. I think kids need teachers for support, to ask questions and to look to for guidance.

3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?
-The environment would be the first factor. A student needs to be somewhere they can focus, a student also needs to be able to access internet and other sources if they have questions. Lastly, a kid/anybody needs to WANT to learn in order to teach themselves.

4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?
-They play a major role in the process to a student being a motivated learner and teaching themselves. Through computers and internet access students can attain any information they desire on any given topic. This one factor alone will keep them motivated and eager to learn if they have access to something that had already interested them.

5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn?
-Being motivated keeps the mind wanting to know more about certain things. If a students motivation is fulfilled they will stay motivated.

6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?
-Questions along the process I feel are normal and a good thing. If you are asking questions it is because you want answers, clarification or reassurance.

7. How do you motivate someone to learn?
-You work with them until you find what interests them. Once you(and the student) have found something they are interested in and motivated to learn about you try to feed off of that and venture out over time.

8. How are you motivated to learn?
-I am motivated to learn because I know what is at the finish line. I will have a degree and hopefully a teaching job shortly after that. Once I get a job I can continue to further my education and expand my career options.

9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn?
-A person can still learn if they are not motivated, they just won't enjoy it.

10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?
-I do teach myself. I teach myself when I am home doing homework assignments. I have taught myself when I did not understand what I was hearing in lecture. I teach myself because it is part of being in college. I also need to be aware of how to teach myself so I can help teach others in the future.

11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?
-Teachers play a major role in my learning. I go to my teachers when I have questions, when I am confused about a topic. Teachers are there for guidance, support and to help. Which in turn aid in my learning and growing as a student.

12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?
-Don't be afraid to experiment. I don't want to be a reserved and withheld teacher I want to take chances in my classroom which will hopefully lead to great educational leaps for my students. A teacher never knows if a teaching method will work unless they try.

13. What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers?
-At one point in the video Sugata Mitra says, "Children will learn to do what they want to learn to do." At first I was a bit confused by this, after repeating it a few times I found myself agreeing with Mr. Mitra. Children are aware of what they want or don't want to do. However I think through great educators we can have them wanting to do more and learn more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment