Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Blog Post #12

Watch these two videos and respond in a blog your reactions to them. Ask yourself and answer these questions:
1.) Is the price of a college education really worth the potential debt after graduation?
2.)What other options do/would I have without a college degree?
3.) Does society need higher educated people to function properly and effectively?





My response:
I can't really relate to many college students regarding debt after college because I am not paying for my own college education, I am one of the lucky ones.  Many students struggle for four or more years to make ends meet, pay for textbooks and live off of peanut butter and jelly only to be on average 20,000 dollars in debt. Especially with today's economy the way it is a job may not even be guaranteed upon graduation. As far as other options without a degree I feel I would not be satisfied or happy with any job I may hold. I want to be a teacher and maybe one day a college professor, without a degree these would not be options my future would hold. At best I could be a substitute teacher by passing a test or a secretary for a college professor. Both options do not appeal to me. Which for me personally means a college education is the first and most important step to reaching my future goals. I do agree that society needs higher educated people to function properly and effectively. However, I don't feel every member of society needs to be educated at a higher level to have an effective influence on society and contribute to the bettering of a school system, community, state, nation ect. Some people don't have the funds or ability to attend college even though they may be qualified to do so. We need to remember that this does not take away their voice, their thoughts and opinions about improving society.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog idea. Like you, I am also one of the lucky ones. A degree is a must for me. It is a very important and valued thing to have. I also agree that every member of society to have an effective influence on society. It takes every type of person to contribute to society. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first video was interesting, the tone reminded me of WAiting For Superman. I like that it addressed an issue versus just revealing some truth.

    My favorite part of this post is your last line. Before I say anything more about it, will you expound on it just so I am clear that I understand the way you intended it to be read?

    GREAT WORK!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  3. My last line was with the idea that in todays society a college education is ideal and will get take you places. If you were applying for a job along with someone who doesn't hold a college degree the chances of you getting the job are greater. However I feel that because some people are not given the opportunity to go to college people may look down on them and I don't agree with that. A person with only a high school degree still has as much potential to contribute to society, be a positively influential person and do good things in their lifetime. I think the underlying message of my last line was a respect issue and how everyone deserves it.

    ReplyDelete