Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Additional Assignment # 3

sir ken robinson
I enjoyed this video, I though Sir Ken Robinson made some great points and had information to back it up. His main point was the fact that children are being medicated at such a young age. His study was the way he tested a number of students in kindergarten and then tested them again five years later. Through his method it was clear as crystal that the students divergent thinking had decreased and would continue to do so. I think he also made a good point when he talked about how children are over medicated. Our society is always looking for a "quick fix." Especially when it comes to children, parents wonder why their child is hyper, why their child is this or that. Instead of working with their children and trying to fix the problem through trial and error they take them to a doctor and before you know it their child is diagnosed with ADD. Some children do have ADD and do need to be medicated, but the number of students who are diagnosed with such things like ADD have drastically increased over the past ten years. The same goes for autism. 
So we ask ourselves, what can be done to change the issues brought up in the video? I find myself struggling for an answer. I can speak for myself and say that when I am a teacher I will know about these issues and do my very best to educate in the most productive way possible. We need to teach using different styles because in any given classroom each student prefers a different learning style. This may lessen the amount of bored children and keep students interested. We need to be creative in our lesson planning. Standing in front of a class and lecturing with a white board is not enough. Introduce technology, our world is very virtually based, why isn't our education system? If I were to produce a project like this I would see myself as an artist or possibly the narrator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment