Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blog Post # 4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff Please? by Scott McLeod
I thought that Scott McLeod took a very creative approach in creating this article. His sarcasm was clear yet tasteful. His different approach allowed him to address a broader range of topics. Such as the dangers of the internet. Yes, the internet can be a dangerous place but it is up to us as educators to teach our students how to properly use and navigate through the internet. There will always be dangers when using the internet or fear of children being exposed to something not suitable for them. I feel very strongly that the dangers far outweigh the advantages. I also agreed with Mr. McLeod when he wrote about parents sheltering their children. When parents do this they are taking away educational opportunities from their children.

Scott McLeod is an associate professor of Educational Opportunities and Iowa State University and he is the director along with Dr. Joan Hughes of the Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE).

The iSchool Initiative

Watching this video I was pretty amazed. Just thinking about my own schooling without having to buy and carry heavy textbooks around had me convinced! I was also impressed when he addressed the point of our carbon footprint, there is no doubt about it that the iSchool would be about as "Green" of an education as one could receive. This high school creator had it all thought out; iHomework, email, internet access, the applications that could access chemical touch, worldwiki and U.S.A Presidents just to name a few. The key to communication would be through email, this would work. Most people today have an email and are daily users. The iSchool could even require teachers to have a blog that both parents and students could go to for homework assignment, announcements, future topics etc. The iSchool seems like it could easily be done and save money. However I do think there would be multiple problems:
1. I have used an iTouch and i find it hard to type one, it would be difficult to type notes on that small screen.
2. What if a student has a vision impairment or could not operate the iTouch with their hands, how would they attend the iSchool?
3. What if a student loses or breaks their iTouch?
4. How many replacements would they get? Eventually would the cost be equivalent to that of textbooks, print-outs and pencils?
5. What is their parents could not afford to buy them a new one?
These were just a few of my questions I had while watching this video, but I do think a school with no books, paper, pencils or copy machines is definitely in our future. To answer his question does technology belong in the classroom? Yes it does. In every classroom around the world.

The Lost Generation

This video was highly impressive. The deliverance and the tone of the video made it a success in my opinion. To being with there were two lines that caught my attention, "money will make me happy" and "work is more important than family." I know that for some people in today's society this may hold true but for me this will never be the case. Money does not make a person happy, they only think it does. There were also two other lines, "quick fix society" and "celebrating tenth anniversary of divorce." Once the video reversed these lines became two of the most upbeat lines in the video. I found this video to be very influential and creative. I was not expecting the poem to be read backwards but once it was i found it to be very moving.

 Eric Whitaker's Virtual Choir Lux Aurumque
Eric Whitaker's Virtual Choir
I loved this video, mostly because I enjoy choirs and listening to people sing. This was a whole new approach, something I have never seen nor heard of. 185 voices, 243 tracks and 12 countries that is almost to much to wrap my head around. Each member of the choir, wherever they may be in the world was singing to a computer screen. A computer screen! I think that this is just another amazing example of how our world is changing and we can be more in touch with people around the world through devices that could fit in your hand. It must be very exciting for the 185 people involved in this to see the finished product without ever even meeting their choir mates!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ellie,

    You said: "I feel very strongly that the dangers far outweigh the advantages." It is interesting that you say that because most of your classmates think the opposite. Check out Gaillard Broughton's Blog. She thinks there are more advantages than disadvantages.

    Good Post Ellie! Keep up the good work!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,
    I am glad you commented on my post and pointed out what I had written. I had mis worded what I was trying to say. What I was attempting to get across was the exact opposite, I feel very strongly that the advantages far outweigh the dangers. Not what I had previously said! oops!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete