Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blog # 2

Did You Know?
Wow! Watching this video I was in amazement, the statistics shared in this video were mind blowing. For example, the statistic about 25% of India's population with the highest IQ is greater than the total population of the United States. I also found it interesting how India has more honor students than the Untied States has kids. After I saw this in the video and had it put into perspective I found those facts to be amazing.
What our world has accomplished this far, virtually speaking is hard to wrap my mind around. The things technology has done for the world and continues to do is truly amazing. when the video was over I re-read the title "Did you know?" and I thought to myself, no I did not know but now I do. I was so impressed with the video that I sent it in an email to a few family members.

Mr.Winkle Wakes
Mr. Wrinkle Wakes
The start of this video really set the stage for the message it was trying to send out. Mr. Wrinkle wakes from a 100 year slumber and finds himself in a new modernized and technology advanced world. The only place he finds familiar and comfortable with is in a school. Point being, our schools have not changed nor kept up with modern day. No matter how you look at it the education being received by students is dated and needs to be evaluated.
Outside of the classroom for a typical fifth grader is filled with technology savvy gadgets and such. TV, radio, ipods, computers, video games etc. Time away from the classroom for many students is spent using these type things. Which in turn raises the question, why do we not incorporate these things into our classrooms? Computers for example can be used to such an advantage in the education of children and into adulthood. I feel that the younger students are exposed to things like computers the more they can become familiar with and use to their educational advantage.

Importance of Creativity
Sir Ken Robinson starts off the video with two bold statements," Education takes us into the future that we can't grasp." He also states, "Creativity is as important as literacy." I agree with both of these statements. I thought Mr. Robinson did a wonderful job sending the message of how important it is to not stomp on and rule our a childs creative mind.
Another point I found to be very interesting was when he talked about how children are not afraid to be wrong, yet most adults have lost that courage. Adults are afraid to be wrong, I am an example. This video was an eye opener, I thoroughly enjoyed his speech on creativity. I especially thought his own creativity was throughout the video. When I am an educator I hope to always have a concious thought and be sure not to educate my students out of creativity.

Vicki Davis: Harness your students digital smarts
What an amazing teacher! I found her video and operation of her classroom to be very uplifting and encouraging. Her classroom was filled with software and all types of technology. Ms. Davis made a statement that her students are, "Learning how to learn." This is so important in a classroom because each student has their own way of learning and retaining information. She wants her students to be thinkers and doers, as every teacher should. The difference however, is that Ms. Davis actions display her motto.
Her blog, the awards she has received, the places she has traveled because of her teaching are setting such a good example for her students. In the video she made a statement, " Teachers don't need to know everything before they teach it." I will carry this statement with me, I understood it as, teaching your students and learning from your students go hand in hand. It's okay to be wrong. It's okay learn from your students. Ms. Davis was very inspiring to me and I already know I will be watching this video again.

3 comments:

  1. Ellie,

    This is a really good example of what you are learning about technology. I see that you are really into this new found learning.

    Keep on exploring these ideas! Great job.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ellie! I was also amazed about the statistics of India's honor students vs. the students in the U.S.A. We as future educators need to jump start technology in the schools.
    LaChandra Lett
    lettlachandraedm310.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellie! I was also very amazed when I watched these videos. This quote also caught my eyes. "Teachers don't need to know everything before they teach it". I also agree with this and will never forget it. We are always learning and teachers can not possible always know everything.

    Amy Crismon

    ReplyDelete