Friday, August 27, 2010

Blog Post One

   Hi! My name is Ellie Irish-Jones and I am from Buffalo, New York. I decided to come to USA because I was tired of freezing cold winters and wanted sunshine for my college days! Many people ask if my family moved here or if I knew anyone before I moved down to Mobile. The answer is no, All of my family still lives in Buffalo and I came here not knowing anyone. However, I do get the best of both worlds because I miss the winters in Buffalo and miss the hot summer months down here when I go home after spring semester! But I do miss playing hockey! One of my favorite things to do is read. I read one book after another, any genre, any length. I especially love going into a bookstore and searching for a new book. I also enjoy creating my own art, camping/hiking, running and being outdoors.
    I knew I wanted to be a teacher since I was in Elementary school. It wasn't until I baby-sat a special needs child all through high school that I wanted to pursue special education as a profession. I work well with special needs children, some people may feel uncomfortable or intimidated while I find myself admiring and appreciating them.
   Some fun facts about me; this past summer I traveled to Spain, Italy, France and Greece with friends who I first met in Elementary school! I have also been to Australia and New Zealand!

  

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Ellie! What a well travelled teacher you are. And of course having been to New Zealand makes you especially well travelled! Make sure you point out to Dr Strange that you got here before he did. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave me your thoughts. I was interested in your comments about your own lack of experience with the internet growing up, and then I read here about your love of books and reading. So I would encourage you when you have time to visit our book podcast blog and see how we are using technology and social media to turn our students into bookworms :) http://kpetv.blogspot.com
    And I have done a year's research project on it to find out how effective it is. I can point you to that paper if you are interested.
    All the best with this course and your teaching career.
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a daughter who lives in Rochester. Too cold for me! And I am envious of your trip to New Zealand! I am eager to see Pt. England School (where Manaiakalani - or Dorothy Burt - is the eLearning Director). You will find, I think, Pt, England School to be most remarkable! It won't be long. When we start C4K you will understand what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellie, I'm Mitch. You have a very cool story to tell. Buffalo, NY to Mobile, AL had to be a big adjustment for you to make. I was born and raised here so I've probably missed out on some of the cool things you've gotten to experience. I'm sure that traveling and being in cultures that are different from our own will make you an excellent teacher. Along with your gift of compassion, of course. I used to go ice skating when Mobile had a minor league hockey team and I can honestly say that I wasn't meant to be on that stuff. It was fun and I gained a lot of respect for hockey players. I hate that they don't offer that anymore I'm sure you would have enjoyed it. It's great to meet you though, and I hope you have a great experience here at South Alabama.

    ReplyDelete